Saturday, January 23, 2010

Can A 14 Year Old Girl Work At A Hair Salon?

I want to know if I can work at a hair salon because thats what I mostly like to do and I am good at. Also I want to work at this age because I want to help my parents pay the bills and pay them for everything they have done for me and my sister.Can A 14 Year Old Girl Work At A Hair Salon?
First of all you are so sweet for wanting to help out your parents.





I am a little bit older and started working at 10, it is really fun to noe that you have responsibility.





I am pretty sure that if you apply you could sweep and just help answer phones but I am not sureCan A 14 Year Old Girl Work At A Hair Salon?
quite frankly, my answer was by far more informative...and it has 2 thumbs up as opposed to LA's thumbs down.





call me a sore loser, but you know i'm right.





whatever...

Report Abuse



dont legally unless it is family owned and you are family...then they can even pay you a wage..but if you asked to maybe volenteer your time to sweep hair, clean up etc..maybe some of the girls would chip in some tip money...but due to insurance reasons they cannot legally hire you
The law is different in every state, but in most states at 14 you would need to get a working permit and there would be restrictions on the hours you could work. You should see about getting a working permit first, then you can go into local salons and offer to do sweeping up, or setting up stations, giving women robes and showing them to a chair. No salon can let you cut hair or color as you are not licensed by the state board, but you can at least get some experience and observe that way.
When I was 15, I obtained a working permit, and washed the towels and linnens at a local spa. I knew the manager and she paid me ';under the table';. It was only on Saturdays, for 4 hour shifts. If you're courteous and polite, and know someone on the inside, they may take you on. You just have to ask
sorry ,no
Nope.
Most states put restrictions on the number of hours per week a 14 or 15 year old can work, especially during the school year. I would go to the hair salon you wish to work for and inquire. They may hire you as a sweeper, cleaner or even possibly as a shampoo girl or telephone appointment setter. I doubt that you will be allowed to cut hair or work with any of the chemicals, but it would definitely be a great opportunity to observe and learn. You won't know for sure unless you make an effort and ask.
Sorry, but a 14 year old girl can't work anywhere.





In most states, you need to be at least sixteen years old to work.





And, in most cases, hair salons will only hire you if you have completed courses at a cosmetology school or are currently enrolled in one.





What you can do, is start saving up (babysit, walk dogs, tutor) and buying hair dye, make up, etc. and having your own home business for your friends that want to get their hair/makeup done for dances, parties, etc. Also, then you can put together a portfolio of your work as you progress to show your school when you apply, which will show them just how serious you are.





Best of luck!
you should go to a hair salon and ask them. and show them what you can do and maybe they might hire you. good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment