Saturday, January 23, 2010

ATTN GROOMERS: opening a salon next spring, but i've only have worked for one employer...?

I am open to other grooming ideas as far as how employees are paid and how appointments are scheduled. I've only been paid commission and have learned to schedule dogs 2-3 at a time and allow for 3-4 hours total for all 3 dogs together. Has anyone here worked for anyone that will only let you do one dog straight through to cut kennel time out to please clients? Any other methods of grooming scheduling/paying/processes?ATTN GROOMERS: opening a salon next spring, but i've only have worked for one employer...?
I worked for a groomer who would have most of her clients there about 8 am and plan to leave them most of the day. Pick up times did vary some, but she wasn't interupted as much by people constantly coming and going.


I now work for a very large corp. and we schedule hourly. If i'm working 4 hours, I'll let them schedule me 4 dogs. Since drying takes the longest, I'll get a couple bathed and in the dryer. That way I'm free to do a couple more. while those 2 are drying, I finish the first 2. Just make sure you watch the types of dogs you are doing. You don't want 4 Huskies at once or you will never finish. Stagger your types of dogs the right way and you can effectively do a dog an hour.ATTN GROOMERS: opening a salon next spring, but i've only have worked for one employer...?
I worked at a salon that took in dogs in the morning, but also offered a ';Rush'; or ';VIP'; service. It cost up to $15-$25 extra. The good thing is that not all wanted to pay it, but we would get 2 a day and I think that is realistic. Most people want to go run errands or have to go to work so the dogs will be there all day anyway.


As far a paying I have seen it done many ways, but this is how I pay my employees. Bathers/brushers get 5-15% depending on level of skill, of the total grooming cost plus need to be tipped by groomers. Groomers make 45%-60% depending on type of cut and level of skill.


Good Luck!!
Congratulations! I am so happy you are starting your own place. We schedule by the groomer. Some groomers can do 7 every 4 hours and some 3. All our dogs come in either at 8:00 am or 12:00 noom. The 8's are promised to be out by 12 and the12's go home by 4. We fill out 4';x6'; cards on all dogs. Then we attach a post-it to the card with the groomers name, trim, what time the customer will return or what phone # to call when the dog is ready. May I suggest you go to Barkleigh.com and get the Groomer to Groomer Magazine. It has alot of quality articles. Also the website has a chat room with other groomers that really go out of their ways to help newby's. You may email me if you have more questions. Best of luck,...and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment